Wednesday, March 28, 2012

problem in export of csv file into sql server

I am trying to export a CSV file into sql server. I wrote a query to perform select fields from csv file using OPENROWSET. I am getting all the values in a single column, but I need to get in three different columns. Any can body can help me



The query is as follows

Select * from OpenRowset ('MSDASQL','Driver= {Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt; *.csv)}; DefaultDir=” Directory name” \;Extended properties=''ColNameHeader=True; Format=Delimited;''','select * from Sample.csv')



Sample.csv

col1, col2, col3 ---- all the values are in single cell of excel csv file
1, a, abc
2, sfasf, sdgagas



Output of query is

col1,col2,col3 --- all the values are coming in one column and with comma between them
1,a,abc
2,sfasf,sdgagas

can any body help me where i am going wrong?

Thanks in advance
suryamight be easier to just import the entire file to a staging table and the work with it from there.|||would u like to give me some sample code|||Doh - something wrong with my pc, please ignore 2 duplicate answers and refer the top one.|||Have you used DTS in this case to import the rows which is an easier solution or what is requirement to use OPENROWSET statement.|||Have you used DTS in this case to import the rows which is an easier solution or what is requirement to use OPENROWSET statement.
See this http://www.sql-server-helper.com/tips/read-import-excel-file-p01.aspx fyi.

No comments:

Post a Comment