Friday, March 30, 2012

Problem in installing SQL express

If you know how to fix my problem , pls let me know. I am trying to install SQL express version with XP SP2 . iIt stops at the screen of "Detecting Installed IIS" . I have tried the same installation in server 2003. It is ok.

I too have the exact same problem. I've got a case logged into MS support and I'll post back whenever they get around to returning my call.
|||OK - I resolved the problem on two identicial clean machines, but we were not sure what exactly resolved the problem. First off, I have two, out-of-the-box Dell 9150s and both came with a Norton Internet Security installed with 'Personnal Firwewall' turned ON. I turned the firewall off and also installed the service packs listed below and I was able to install SQL Express without issue on both machines.

I hope this helps.
Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859)

- Update for Windows XP (KB894391)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706)

- Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB886903)

- Critical Update for Windows XP (KB886185)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB905414)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB899589)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB893066)

- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB896688)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400)

- Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB898458)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358)

- Update for Windows XP (KB887742)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756)

- Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)

|||

I was having the same problem with the install haning up at the IIS detection on my laptop. I didn't have any problem installing it on my desktop. Both machines are running XP Home. The difference is the desktop has ZoneAlarms as a firewall, while the laptop is running the Norton firewall.

I couldn't install on the laptop either from the download or from a SQL Server Standard Edition CD. They both stopped at the IIS detection.

I turned off the Norton firewall, downloaded the install to my desktop, ran it from there and it installed very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment